The surrounding area
The village of Sare
The village of Sare lies in the heart of smugglers’ country, where France meets the Spanish region of Navarra. Its architecture is testament to the great wealth generated from whale and cod fishing.
The centre of the village, officially recognised as one of France’s most beautiful, is just 10 minutes’ walk away. There is plenty going on there all year round.
The delights of the Basque Country
The Basque Country boasts a unique cultural and natural environment that affords visitors an enviable range of trips and activities. Of course, there are some musts for any visitor: trips to Saint-Jean-de-Luz or the citadel of Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port, surfing in Biarritz, a hike to the summit of Larrun… But we can also give you some ideas for excursions off the beaten track, be it for a spot of adventure or just a little peace and authenticity. Don’t hesitate to ask us for advice.
- Lunch at Venta Antton
- Climb Larrun and enjoy the exceptional views from the top, be it on foot from Sare or on the cog railway up the Col de Saint Ignace
- Trip to Ortilopitz, Sare’s traditional Basque house
- Trip to the Sare caves
- Horseriding at Olhaldea equestrian centre
- Hike up the Col de Lizarrieta
- Trip to the Spanish villages of Zugarramurdi and Urdax
- Tour of the Villa Arnaga / Musée d’Edmond Rostang in Cambo-les-Bains
- Shopping and pintxos in San Sebastián
- Surfing on the Côte des basques in Biarritz
- Swimming in Saint-Jean-de-Luz bay
- Golf in Souraïde
- Trip to the Guggenheim Museum in Bilbao